February 27, 2022. 
Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes

Can I travel internationally while I'm waiting for my Green Card?

If you’re currently residing in the United States, waiting for your Green Card to be processed, you may be curious if you're allowed to leave the country. The Green Card process is complex and can take several months. During this time, you may wish to travel outside of the United States, visit other countries, or maybe travel back home to visit family. However, things may not be that straightforward. Keep reading to find out what factors you should take into consideration.

Adjustment of Status

First, let’s take a look at ways you can apply for a Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card. One way to do it is outside of the United States, through Consular processing. On the other hand, if you’re applying from the United States, you opt for adjustment of status. Since the process can take a while, it is best to submit a proper application with the necessary documents the first time, so you avoid any delays.

Leaving the United States

When it comes to exiting the country while waiting for your Green Card, you can do it at your own risk. After you submit the adjustment of status application, you no longer have the visa status that you entered the U.S. on. The only way you can travel is if you receive a travel authorization document, known as an advance parole document. You need to submit Form I-131 and wait for the approval. The USCIS will issue this document only to certain applicants so they can re-enter the country

Emergency requests

The expedited advance parole document can be issued only in case of emergencies. Note that you need to have a legitimate reason to request an expedited advance parole document. The emergencies include death or serious illness of a relative. If you leave the United States without an advance parole document, your application will be considered abandoned. Still, even with this document, there is no guarantee that you will be able to re-enter the county.

Another issue that may emerge is the fingerprinting appointment. The USCIS schedules the appointment for you, but you cannot predict the exact date. As for the interview, you cannot be sure when exactly it will be scheduled either. Worst case scenario, you may be outside of the United States which could complicate things for you.

Final Words

At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide whether you will wait for your Green Card before you travel out of the country or not. If you don't need to travel internationally, you should delay your trip. Either way, you can always reach out to us for advice. VisaExpress consultants are available 24/7 for any questions you may have.


Select a Complete Service

Supported Visa Types: Tourism, Visit or Medical Treatment / Business or Employment / Transit / Study or Exchange

Copyright © 2022 VisaExpress.us.com

Disclaimer: https://VisaExpress.us.com is not affiliated with the United States Department of State (US DOS), the United States Department of Homeland Security (US DHS), the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), or any other United States government agency. Except for our affiliated and independent lawyers/attorneys explicitly disclosed in the service, we are not a law firm, we do not provide legal advice, and we are not a substitute for an attorney. Neither VisaExpress.us.com nor its employees claim to have any special knowledge of immigration law or procedure. Listed purchase prices for application preparation assistance services do NOT include any government application, medical examination fee, filing, or biometric fees. The applications completed using our service are available as blank forms for free on some USA Government websites. Lawyer services are provided by independent Lawyers and these services are subject to a separate, Limited-Scope Lawyer Agreement. We are a private, internet-based travel technology service provider dedicated to helping individuals travel to the United States. If you do not wish to utilize our services, you may apply directly at travel.state.gov or at uscis.gov.