Blog article-Four most common ways to obtain U.S. permanent residency
Estimated Reading Time: 3 minutes

Four most common ways to obtain U.S. permanent residency

Becoming a U.S. permanent resident is not as hard as you might think it is. Inform yourself about ways in which you can apply for a Green card and start working towards your desired result. Knowing your options is the first step of the permanent residency process. Not everyone is bold enough to start a new life in a new country. Congrats on having the courage to consider that!

Family-based permanent residency

If you’re a child of a U.S. citizen, you might be eligible for the IR-2 Child visa. As a spouse or fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, you might apply for the IR1 or CR1 Spouse or K1 Fiancé(e visa. In both of these cases, you’ll have to prove that your marriage or relationship is valid. If you’re a parent of a U.S. citizen, you’ll need an IR5 Parent visa. In addition, being a brother or sister of a U.S. citizen, a child of a spouse or fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, or an immediate relative of a legal permanent resident might qualify you for a visa and later a Green card.

Employment-based permanent residency

There are various types of employment that can help you settle in the U.S. as a permanent resident. Having a contract with your future U.S. employer represents a starting point for your work visa. Keep in mind that getting a work visa won’t automatically grant you a Green card. After you arrive in the U.S., you’ll apply for a Green card and receive it in the mail. As an immigrant investor who has invested a minimum of $1 million or $500,000, depending on a type of lawful business in the U.S., you become eligible for lawful permanent status. 

Diversity Immigrant Visa Program

This one is for the luckiest ones. Namely, the program is also known as the Green Card lottery which takes place every year. You enter the program in case you have no other way of obtaining a Green card, provide your background details, and keep your fingers crossed. The winners are randomly chosen. However, the selection process takes into account the ones over 18 years of age. 

Refugee or asylum-based permanent residency

Unfortunately, this is one of the most common ways of becoming a U.S. permanent resident. Before applying for the adjustment of status, you need to spend at least one year in the U.S. with refugee or asylum permission and make sure not to travel to the country that you escaped from. 

VisaExpress is part of the GovAssist family, which also owns and operates GovAssist Legal, a non-traditional legal services provider authorized to the practice of Immigration Law by the Utah Supreme Court’s Office of Legal Services Innovation.

Our team is supervised by in-house immigration lawyers, and you will be provided with attorney representation throughout your case. Using technology and our paralegal team we can charge much less than traditional law firms.

Copyright © 2022

Disclaimer: is not affiliated with the United States Department of State (US DOS), the United States Department of Homeland Security (US DHS), the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), or any other United States government agency. Except for our affiliated and independent lawyers/attorneys explicitly disclosed in the service, we are not a law firm, we do not provide legal advice, and we are not a substitute for an attorney. Neither nor its employees claim to have any special knowledge of immigration law or procedure. Listed purchase prices for application preparation assistance services do NOT include any government application, medical examination fee, filing, or biometric fees. The applications completed using our service are available as blank forms for free on some USA Government websites. Lawyer services are provided by independent Lawyers and these services are subject to a separate, Limited-Scope Lawyer Agreement. We are a private, internet-based travel technology service provider dedicated to helping individuals travel to the United States. If you do not wish to utilize our services, you may apply directly at or at

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?