September 30, 2021. 
Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes

IR2 Child Visa: Most Common Questions Answered

Having your children close to you is an incredible feeling. If your foreign-born child lives outside the U.S. and wants to come to the U.S. to live with you, they will need the IR2 visa. This visa type will allow your child to apply for their Green Card to become a U.S. lawful permanent resident. Read this article to learn the answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding the IR2 Child Visa.

How do I apply for my child’s visa?

You as a parent who is either a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident in the United States start the petition for your unmarried foreign-born child who is under 21 years of age. We recommend reaching out to a visa consultant and receive 24/7 online support as you're preparing your petition. The petition includes information about you (the petitioner), and your foreign-born child (the beneficiary). After your petition has been submitted, your child will need to complete the visa application and submit it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where they apply from. Our visa and immigration consultants are here to provide online support from start to finish.

What makes my child eligible for the U.S. IR2 visa?

The regulations are simple and straightforward - being under 21 years old, unmarried, and living in a foreign country. They should also have a favorable background and a clear intention of immigrating to the United States. There is nothing better than being well-informed about the application process. If you want to enjoy a smooth and worry-free visa process, you can turn to us and let us do the heavy lifting for you.

Which financial requirements do I need to meet?

We have made things easy for you by creating the income calculator. Keep in mind that your financial eligibility depends on whether you will sponsor one child or more. It is also influenced by whether you come from a household with one or more regular incomes. For any questions you might have regarding the necessary income, but not only, simply contact our visa and immigration consultants to get the answers you need.

What is the duration of the entire application process?

It usually takes around six to eight months. This process has several stages and requires your full attention. It is pretty easy to miscalculate the fees you’ll have to pay or the amount of time you’ll need to invest in the process. That is why professional assistance is recommended.

Is my child going to attend an interview?

In accordance with the Interview Waiver Program, if your child is under 14 years of age, they might not have to attend their U.S. visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate in the country where they applied from. However, there is always a chance that the Consular Officers will invite your child to attend their interview. In case you have a small child, you can attend your interview on their behalf. Regardless of the circumstances, we are here to provide online support and answer any of your questions.

What can I do as a parent to increase my child’s chances?

Make sure you have a regular income, no criminal transgressions, and enough finances to cover your child’s stay in the United States. Presenting yourself as a serious petitioner is a great start to your child’s visa application journey. Our immigration consultants are here to provide pro tips, based on your particular situation, to make sure your petition has the highest chances of approval.

Should I enroll my child in a U.S. school before they apply for the U.S. child visa?

Even if you would want to do that, it is not possible to enroll your child in a U.S. school before they obtain their U.S. child visa. On the other hand, if they apply for an F1 student visa, they could enroll in a U.S. educational institution. That visa application process should not overlap with the U.S. child visa process. Those are two separate processes that you should approach carefully.

Does my baby need an invitation letter?

Pay attention that having an invitation letter is not a requirement for the U.S. child visa, but it can surely improve an applicant’s prospects for getting their U.S. child visa issued. In case your child is a baby, nobody expects that you submit an invitation letter for a baby that can’t read it, so no need to worry about that.

My child is 23 years old and wants to join me in the United States. Can I sponsor him/her?

It would be great and practical, but the rules say something else. Namely, the IR2 visa is for the unmarried children of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders who live outside the United States and want to reunite with their parent(s). Even if you have an unmarried 23-year-old child, they are not eligible for the IR2 visa. Your child needs to be under 21 years of age to be suitable to apply for the IR2 visa.

What comes after my child gets their IR2 visa?

They can come to the U.S. on their IR2 visa, apply for a Green Card, and enroll in an educational institution in the United States. Once again, your family is in one place and you can spend time planning fun activities that don’t involve petitions or applications.

The list aims to give you an insight into the most asked questions about the U.S. child visa. They have been collected over the years of our visa consultants' professional experience. It is a concise display of simply everything you need to know about the U.S. child visa before you start the process. In case you didn’t find the answer to your questions, just contact us and we’ll get back to you in the shortest time possible. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!


Select a Complete Service

Supported Visa Types: Tourism, Visit or Medical Treatment / Business or Employment / Transit / Study or Exchange

Copyright © 2022

Disclaimer: is not affiliated with the United States Department of State (US DOS), the United States Department of Homeland Security (US DHS), the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), or any other United States government agency. Except for our affiliated and independent lawyers/attorneys explicitly disclosed in the service, we are not a law firm, we do not provide legal advice, and we are not a substitute for an attorney. Neither nor its employees claim to have any special knowledge of immigration law or procedure. Listed purchase prices for application preparation assistance services do NOT include any government application, medical examination fee, filing, or biometric fees. The applications completed using our service are available as blank forms for free on some USA Government websites. Lawyer services are provided by independent Lawyers and these services are subject to a separate, Limited-Scope Lawyer Agreement. We are a private, internet-based travel technology service provider dedicated to helping individuals travel to the United States. If you do not wish to utilize our services, you may apply directly at or at